[nas] `nasd -v -d 99 -aa` under FreeBSD -current gives "Output open(/dev/dsp) failed: No such file"

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Jan 31 23:17:40 MST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 07:49:08PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
>> I'm currently working on trying to repair the mpg123 port.
>
> And this is now done. Velvet Underground on an NCD 451 :-)
>
> For anyone else attempting to use NAS with mpg123 on FreeBSD, note that
> if esound is installed that will over-ride the Makefile target from
> freebsd-nas to freebsd-esound. dd'ing the esound stuff out of the
> port Makefile is the quick n' dirty workaround. I should probably
> develop something better and send a PR to the maintainer -- that'll have
> to wait for a bit more copious spare time(tm).
>
> Out of curiosity, how does one modify the volume on NCD 451? I assume
> that the NAS server, on the thin client, controls this but I haven't
> found any method to do so. I had hoped that mpg123's "-g 90" would work
> but it appears to be unsupported in this context.

 	You could try aupanel... Select the output device and adjust the
gain... I use xmms for playing mp3's myself, and it's volume control works
as expected...

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad