[nas] Exporting audio output]

Shardool shardool at iiita.ac.in
Fri Feb 13 12:52:24 MST 2004

> Jon Trulson <jon at radscan.com> writes:
>>>
>>> I tried libaudiooss from the site you mentioned. It worked partially for
>>> xmms but didnt't work for any other application (including mplayer).
Any other suggestions?

>>	There is a native NAS plugin for xmms at
>>
>>	ftp://ftp.stack.nl/pub/users/willem/
>>
>>	I use it all the time.  In general, it will be better to use the
>>native application's NAS support, if available.  libaudiooss is an
LD_PRELOAD library that intercepts accesses to /dev/{mixer,audio,dsp}
and converts them into NAS protocol requests.

> Linux apps are moving away from OSS to ALSA (or even JACK).
>
> If the app doesn't use /dev/dsp but /dev/snd/...
> then libaudiooss can't catch it.
>

>>	You should use this lib on apps that do not grok NAS, but use
>>direct OSS access instead.

I prefer to use mplayer instead of xmms.
I have tried running mplayer with the following option along with libaudiooss
 $ mplayer foobar.avi -ao oss:/dev/dsp
which tells it to use oss with the device /dev/dsp but it did not work.
Anyway, I am looking for a generic solution which is not confined to a
particular application.

Regards,
Shardool.