[nas] Fatal server error...

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Thu Jan 30 12:48:08 MST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:35:47 +0000
> From: Nick Ing-Simmons <nick.ing-simmons at elixent.com>
> To: jon at radscan.com
> Cc: nas at radscan.com, Vincas Ciziunas <fizban-nas at tamos.net>
> Subject: Re: [nas] Fatal server error...
>
> Jon Trulson <jon at radscan.com> writes:
> >On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Vincas Ciziunas wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:30:38 -0500 (EST)
> >> From: Vincas Ciziunas <fizban-nas at tamos.net>
> >> To: nas at radscan.com
> >> Subject: [nas] Fatal server error...
> >>
> >> I'm using a dma sound device (I've tried on both my powerbook and on a
> >> zaurus) and with both, nas dies with the following error:
> >>
> >> Fatal server error:
> >> could not create audio connection block info
> >>

> >	Couple of causes for this... It typically means there was some
> >problem in opening the sound device... Either it is already in use by a
> >different program, doesn't exist (/dev/dsp) or won't do full duplex...
> >
> >	Running strace on it should point out the problem.  Look for the
> >open on /dev/audio* or /dev/dsp*
>
> Any chance that the errno from the failing open could get propagated
> or used in the error message?

	Nah... that would make far too much sense ;-)  Yes, it would be
possible to do this trivially using osLog() - there is no way to proagate
the cause for these types of errors to the higher layers though.  Still,
it would be nice to at least get a reasonable error message from a nasd -v
or nasd -d...

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
You talk like a Ferengi.