[nas] Solaris x86 trouble continues.

Victor Wagner vitus at ice.ru
Thu Oct 24 02:26:54 MDT 2002

Since I wrote my previos message about unability to play sound via NAS
on solaris x86, I've tried several suggestions.

First, I've upgraded to NAS 1.6

Second, I've tried various options in config file, but it seems
that nasd.conf file is irrelevant to my setup.

My /etc/nasd.conf contain following outputsection:
====
outputsection
	device		"/dev/audio"		# the full 16 bit interface!
	mixer		"/dev/audioctl"
	maxrate		44100			# is flakey on my OPTi mb at 44
	minrate		5000			# Redundant again
	maxfrags	3			# Low latency (for doom!)
	minfrags	2			# redundant really.
	fragsize	256			# Low latency again..
	wordsize	16			# Yes!
	numchans	2			# HiFi Stereo!
        forcerate 	"yes"
	readwrite	"no"
end
=====

but auinfo reports:
=====
Audio Server:           tcp/gather:8000
Version Number:         2.2
Vendor:                 Network Audio System Release 1.6 - Sun unified dda (running on unknown audio device)
Vendor Release:         1
Min Sample Rate:        8000
Max Sample Rate:        8000
Max Tracks:             32
Number of Formats:      7
Formats:                ULAW8  LinearUnsigned8  LinearSigned8
                        LinearSigned16MSB  LinearUnsigned16MSB
                        LinearSigned16LSB  LinearUnsigned16LSB
Number of Elem Types:   12
Element Types:          ImportClient  ImportDevice  ImportBucket
                        ImportWaveForm  Bundle  MultiplyConstant  AddConstant
                        Sum  ExportClient  ExportDevice  ExportBucket
                        ExportMonitor
Number of Wave Forms:   2
Wave Forms:             Square  Sine
Number of Actions:      3
Actions:                ChangeState  SendNotify  Noop
====

Of course, playing music at 8000Hz on card capable of much more is not
good idea, but it should be at least audible.

I've tried various wav-files from staroffice, and found out
that regardless of forcerate setting in nasd conf, files on 11025Hz are
played, but 22050Hz files produce random noise. It seems that they are
neither properly converted to 8KHz nor sample rate is properly set on
the device.

I've measured time of playing these files via auplay, and it is same as
reported by autool (I've expected that if 5sec 22Khz wav would be played
without conversion, it would take 15 sec)

So, I suspect now that there is something with rate conversion routines.
May it be that sun dda code is desined to run on MSB machines and fails
for some reason on LSB intel machine?

Victor Wagner			vitus at ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88
Communiware.Net 		Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
http://www.communiware.net      http://www.ice.ru/~vitus