[nas] Re: help with using sox with nas-piping sound

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Sun Oct 6 07:50:57 MDT 2002

Dave Richards wrote:

> I would like to suggest that it [NAS] always be backwards compatible.

AFAIK the NAS protocol is build similar to the X11 protocol. So it
should supports extensions, but clients that don't need them should work
with servers that don't support these extensions.

> We have a gigabit switched network.  I'm just not sure if xawtv would
> even open on an NCD terminal. I guess there is only one way to find out!
> ;)  I'll check out the other project you mentioned, thanks.  At one
> point I did playing a DVD remotely to the terminal.  Didn't work too
> well!  But it was fun trying.

The biggest problem would be the terminal itself I'd guess.
You need enough internal bandwidth for
a) receiving at that rate
b) redrawing a bitmap of size 640x480 at 29.97fps...

It might be ok if you go down with the resolution or you can live with
low fps...

Reminder: 640x480 at 29.97fps is 640*480*29.97*16bpp/8bit=17.982MB/s (at 16bit
color depth)

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits