[nas] Re: help with using sox with nas

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Thu Oct 3 10:19:10 MDT 2002

sibusiso xolo wrote:

> I now had a chance to try out the bt848 card in more than one motherbard.  I
> get the same results:  I do not seem to be able to to get sound  over a
> network  using  nas/audiooss:  I  tried the following:

Ok. First some explanation:
xawtv only shows the picture and has nothing to do with sound output.
(Except setting the volume maybe)
Usually your TV card is connected to your soundcards line in, so to send
the sound to a remote machine you have to set the recording source to
line in, digitalize the sound on the local machine, send it to the
remote machine via network and play it back there.

> 1) I tried running xawtv  with the following command;
>
> xawtv  LD_PRELOAD=libaudiooss.so AUDIOSERVER=remotenasserver:0 sox -t raw -r
> 44100 -c 2 -w -s - -t ossdsp /dev/dsp
>
> and I get the response  station "-" not found.  if  I start xawtv with
> -station=n  or started with  -C  -|  before LD_preload   the error disappears
> but I still  get no sound on the nas server. (Sound only on the  local
> machine)  (I also tried  changing to mono -r 8000  -c 1 with the same
> results.)

FOO=bar has to be specified before any commands.
This is because it is then interpreted by your shell, but if you put it
after the command it is passed as a command line parameter.
Here you start xawtv with the parameters
"LD_PRELOAD=libaudiooss.so AUDIOSERVER=remotenasserver:0 sox -t raw
 -r~ 44100 -c 2 -w -s - -t ossdsp /dev/dsp"
which obviously is not what you want.

> (b) the above command started in one terminal and xawtv  started in other
> terminal; there was    no response on the nas server  but  as before sound on
> the machine where xawtv is started..

This should work. Make sure the recording source of your soundcard is
set to linein (or the connector your TV-cards output is plugged in).
You will still hear the sound locally, if you don't want that you'll
have to mute your soundcards output.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits