[nas] nas dependent on X11

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed May 15 18:20:38 MDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Lex Spoon wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:55:07 -0400
> From: Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: Re: [nas] nas dependent on X11
>
> Jon Trulson <jon at radscan.com> wrote:
> > 	True.  The main thing that the nas clients need X for is
> > authentication - that I'm currently aware.
>
> Let us not forget, however, that using X authentication in NAS would be
> very nice!  If I'm not mistaken, right now the ability to connect to the
> server means you get to use the server.   Thus right now, you seem to
> get either security (by using a Unix domain socket) or network access
> (by using a TCP/IP socket), but not both.

	Should be able to use both, though I suspect auth needs a little
rework as I was unable to get my .Xauthority file to work.  The domain
socket is good for localconn, but the X auth should work regardless of the
connection type.  Right now what seems to work (with 1.5a) is localconn,
localconn + TCP - with or without auth (-aa)...

> (Although maybe there are ssh tricks available?  Can ssh redirect a Unix
> domain socket to another Unix domain socket?)

	Not that I know of, but certainly you should be able to redirect
a the tcpconn...

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.