[nas] nas dependent on X11

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed Mar 27 20:17:03 MST 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Paul Fox wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:14:00 -0500
> From: Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: [nas] nas dependent on X11
>
> i know that historically nas and x11 were closely related -- at least,
> that's how nas was envisioned.  but does that really make sense
> anymore?  i know that some of the au-tools are X-based, but frankly,
> i can't remember the last time i used one of them.  auedit isn't
> exactly cutting edge anymore.  :-)

	True... ;-) And I really don't dig on raw Xaw interfaces
either... hehe

> what exactly would break if we moved the contents of Xtutil.c to
> a separate library that most nas-enabled apps wouldn't need?

	Well I just tried this (removed Xtutil.[hc]) from libaudio.
Several of the audio clients seemed to use it.  But I deleted all of the
#include Xtutil.h and everything compiled and ran fine.  So, it would not
appear that this is needed by/for anything.  Anybody else know of anything
using it?  For now I'll just remove it for the next dev release - unless I
run into a problem or somebody squeals.

> i suppose this isn't all that big a deal, since clearly (well,
> currently by definition :-) nas is used in environments that also
> use X.  but i was surprised that i needed to tell the libao
> makefiles about X (and will have to figure out how to write
> configure and automake tests for it eventually) in order to get
> my nas plugin to build.  seems like a needless dependency, and
> i'd warrant that the Xtutil.c hooks are used by very few apps
> anymore.

	True.  The main thing that the nas clients need X for is
authentication - that I'm currently aware.  It would be interesting to see
if you could completely seperate libaudio from any dependance on X libs...
This will require further investigation ;-)  It would also make it easier
and more sensible, I think, to support autoconf in that case as well.

	I'll check into this.  It makes sense to try to make libaudio
completely free of dependance on X.  Besides, I'm starting to get sick of
messy Imake files ;-)

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.