[nas] libao support for NAS?

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Mon Mar 25 19:54:32 MST 2002

 > 	I looked up Vorbis (Ogg) with my trusty google - the vorbis
 > library seems to be a codec, so I wouldn't think you'd want NAS support in
 > there, but in the player using vorbis itself... Am I looking at the right
 > vorbis?
 >
 > http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

yes, but part of the project (a side-effect, as it were) is a
generic audio device opener library, called "libao".

 > > it _does_ have ESD support, and apparently ESD can go remote.  has
 > > anyone compared esd and nas?
 > >

 > 	I had *heard* it was a fairly simple library for playing samples,
 > and it had an endianess problem with remote hosts (non-intel).  This was
 > awhile ago so things may have changed.  How about Erik's libaudiooss?

it seems to be more than that now -- when i asked the folks listed
as libao authors about nas, they said "we all use esd for remote
audio".

 > Wouldn't that work pretty well?  Or we could just add NAS support to
 > mpg321 (or whatever)...

it may well be that libaudiooss would work -- i haven't tried it.  it
just seems like a native implementation would be cleaner, but maybe
not.

mpg321 links against libao to do it's audio device access.  libao
in turn can make use of plugins (what we used to cally dynamic shared
libs :-) to open new devices.  so i _think_ we could just write
a fairly simple nas plugin for libao, and enable any app that uses
libao for audio.

paul