[nas] NAS 1.5e (development) is now available.
jon at radscan.com
Sun Jul 7 16:56:34 MDT 2002
Version 1.5e, a development release is now available at
http://www.radscan.com/nas.html in the usual place.
The main new addition is support for Cygwin under MS Windows
systems, provided by Nicolas Escuder. This includes the NAS server
(nasd) as well as libaudio. ;-)
There is a link on the NAS links page for aquiring pre-compiled
There are other fixes and additions including support for daemon
mode (-b), a new '-local' option, etc.
Here is the current CHANGES file:
- added patch from Nicolas Escuder that adds support for
Windows operating systems using Cygwin. Even the NAS server
is now supported. There are still issues with building
regarding Imake, but once I can get more information, I'll
fix those up.
Read the README.CYGWIN file in the nas/ directory for
instructions. I will provide a link on the nas-links page
to precompiled windows binaries for libaudio.dll, nasd, and
some clients - provided by Nicolas.
- based on idea from Nicolas, added background (-b) mode to
nasd, to force it to run in the background. Actually, he
supplied a patch, but I just redid it to work properly with unix
If you want to see error messages from nasd while starting
up, do not run it in daemon mode or you won't see the error
messages as stdout/stderr are closed. Someday, I'll track
down all of these and have them use osLogMsg(), which would
- added NAS_AUDIOMSGFILE in config/NasConfig.h to specify
where audio messages are stored (ADMPATH in os/osinit.c).
- Yes, we are at 1.5e now. Sorry I didn't release 1.5b-d. Was
a little busy with the day job ;-)
- added .ps -> .pdf conversions in doc/pdf/
- added html versions of man pages in doc/html/
- removed Xtutil[hc] from libaudio and removed references to
Xtutil.h in the clients. Suggestion by Paul Fox.
- added patch from Marco Molteni to add a '-local' option to
nasd. Specifying this option allows only local clients to
- fix nasd.man to describe this and other supported options.
- moved allow_any_host into the NasConfig struct. Along with
the new '-local' option.
- more STARTSERVER fixes - there was still one case where when
STARTSERVER was defined, nasd could be called with the wrong
display number due to a bug in _AuConnectServer.
- changed LEX/YACC DEBUG token to CDEBUG to avoid conflicts
when building nas with '-DDEBUG'
- DEFAULT_AUSERVER is now ":0" rather than
"tcp/localhost:8000". A local socket connection will startup
faster than a tcp connection.
- corrected unixware 7.x build problem
(XMUTEX_INITIALIZER) in mutex.h
- added same check for sun/solaris boxes
- got rid of XUSE_MTSAFE_API - now controlled by
NAS_USEMTSAFEAPI defined in config/NasConfig.h
If you think you are having mutex problems, you can
edit config/NasConfig.h and '#undef'
NAS_USEMTSAFEAPI, then rebuild everthing. This will
turn off threadsafety in libaudio.
- added patch from Tobias Diedrich to fix deadlock in
- added new mutex in audio/Alibint.c to protect
_AuReadEvents() since it can no longer rely on the server
lock as a result of Tobias's patch above.
- added new option, 'gain', to config file in the input/output
sections. This sets the default gains when nasd starts up
(if MixerInit is enabled). Only in voxware for now.
added -lXt and -lXau to the lib dependancy for libaudio.so on
Linux systems per a request from Lorenzo Delana.
- fixed bug in ConnSvr.c that could cause the wrong server
number to passed to nasd when STARTSERVER is defined.
Jon Trulson mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.
More information about the Nas