[Fwd: [nas] Re: Extending Nas functionality?]

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 8 01:52:22 MST 2002

Jade Eloff <jadee at adsmr.co.za> wrote:

> I figured out how to basically play back and record the same flow
> simultaneously. I was trying to do it in the nas client but that is a
> bit complex. I had to change the server so that whatever was sent to the
> speaker (correctly mixed N flows) was also written to a file (in Raw
> format). You just need to know what it was written as (sampling rate,
> MSB, etc.) to play it back audibly.

If you want to record from a single flow you can do it on the client, I
think.  (Though I haven't tried it!).  Just add an ExportClient item to
your flow in addition to your regular ExportDevice, and, if I understand
the docs correctly, both the ExportClient and the ExportDevice will
function.

If you want to record everything the sound server is outputting, then
the Right Way would seem to be to add a ImportMonitor element type to
the server, so that you can use the sound output as another input.  Hook
this to an ExportClient and you are set.  However, notice that this is
an unusual software requirement: you will now pick up the sounds from
any other client that is running at the same time.

A slight variation would be to have an ImportFlowMonitor that monitors a
single flow's output.  Then you can use an ElementSum to add up a bunch
of these and an ExpyortClient to send it back.

Both of the monitor solutions are tricky to think about if someone
pauses some but not all of the flows that are being monitored.  I guess
the ImportFlowMonitor could automatically pause if its flow does (or, it
could have an option for it...).

-Lex

PS -- NAS could use more docs, should anyone want to go for it.  NAS
seems wonderful and simple once you see how it works, but it took me
multiple attempts of greater than an hour to get it.  One thing that
would help is to have docs that don't rely so much on the canned
functionality like "play a file to the server", and to have more details
on the general-purpose mechanics.

PPS -- it might be nice to have a NAS wiki (eg, http://swiki.net), in
order to collect small bits of wisdom, etc, that aren't in any official
docs