[nas] another patch for auplay

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Jan 29 09:48:08 MST 2001

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Paul Fox wrote:

> Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:35:53 -0500
> From: Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us>
> To: jon at radscan.com
> Cc: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: [nas] another patch for auplay
>
> i wrote, in private mail to jon:
>  > > i have another patch that i can send as well -- the utility is
[...]

> these patches were driven by my home voice-response menuing system.

	Sounds interesting... what do you use for voice recognition?

[...]
> that led to a design where i create a named pipe, and start auplay (with
> my patches) hooked to that pipe as stdin.  it just sits in the
> background and does that forever.  writing filenames into that pipe
> from the menu system causes them to be played.  so that's the whole
> point of the "-l" option i added.  when given "-l", auplay will first
> consume any filenames given as arguments, and will then start reading
> them from stdin.

	This seems a reasonable patch...

> the other option, "-s", didn't go in quite as cleanly, i'm afraid, but
> i found it was equally important in my application.  in order for new

	This one does too, but will be a little tricky... IMHO, I think
auplay should always stop the flow immediately when it's interrupted.
The issue now is how to amend the API in such a way that you can get
access to the flowid from AuSoundPlaySynchronousFromFile() (and it's
asynchronous cousin.)  Or perhaps auplay should just be enhanced to always
use it's own playFile routine using low-level calls.  This would also make
it easier to add another often requested feature - the ability to detect
and play audio from stdin...  Thoughts?

> user input (this is driven by an IR remote) to interrupt the current
> spoken phrase (i.e., in order for typahead to short-circuit a lengthy
> menu), there had to be a way to cut off the speech quickly.  simply

	Quite an interesting setup you have there ;-)  I've thought about
doing similiar things around the house myself.  Is your control system
voice recognition? or IR remote only?

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Free Mars!