[nas] Re: OSS emulation on top of NAS - beta test

Erik Inge Bolsø knan at mo.himolde.no
Tue Jan 23 03:07:18 MST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Jon Trulson wrote:
>On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Paul Fox wrote:
>> does it work with common interesting sound "producers", like mpg123,
>> and rvplayer?
>
>	I've not tried rvplayer myself, but have used timidity, xmms, sox,
>and mpg123 with success.  The README on his page list some things known to
>work...

Basically, it is easier to say what it does not work with these days :)

cat file.wav >/dev/audio does not work.
bufplay/bfp does not work. (Though Abramo Bagnara of Suse has a LD_PRELOAD
 lib for OSS emulation on top of ALSA that works with it - I'll see about
 stealing code from him soon, like he told me to *grin*)
Anything that use mmap or recording.
Win4Lin (reportedly)

... these four are all the remaining issues I'm aware of in the playback
direction. Recording, on the other hand - due to a severe lack of examples
of NAS recording programs, I've not been able to implement a recording
redirection so far.

mpg123, xmms, rvplayer, plaympeg, winamp (via wine) etc. works fine, and I
regularly use them :)

--
Erik I. Bolsø | email: <knan at mo.himolde.no>
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to