[nas] Multiple defines under Mac OS X

Jason Lunn galactus at mac.com
Mon Dec 3 23:05:38 MST 2001

I am trying to see if I can get NAS to compile under Mac OS X.

So far, porting has been straight forward. I had to add a flag "-Xlinker
-flat_namespace" to the CC in the makefile so that builds under 10.1.
Right now, I am sort of stuck, I think. I get the following error during
make World, and I don't know what to do about it, since it appears that
both the Xaw and Xt libraries are needed. Any suggestions in resolving
this?

<snip>

/usr/bin/cc -Xlinker -flat_namespace -o auedit auedit.o Graph.o -O -Wall
-Wpointer-arith -traditional-cpp     -L/usr/X11R6/lib
../../../lib/audio/libaudio.a -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11 -lm
../../../clients/audio/widgets/libwidgets.a -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE
-lXpm -lXext -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _vendorShellClassRec
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.dylib(Vendor.o) definition of _vendorShellClassRec
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.dylib(Vendor.o) definition of _vendorShellClassRec
/usr/bin/ld: multiple definitions of symbol _vendorShellWidgetClass
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.dylib(Vendor.o) definition of
_vendorShellWidgetClass
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.dylib(Vendor.o) definition of
_vendorShellWidgetClass
make[4]: *** [auedit] Error 1

<snip>

Sincerely,

  - Jason A. Lunn
   President, Association for Computing Machinery at University of
Maryland, College Park