[conquest] Conquest 8.1 (stable) is released.
jon at radscan.com
Thu Dec 30 21:36:33 MST 2004
... at long last.
This release corrects a few bugs (one pretty serious) in the last
development version (8.0.1q) and is now 'stable' in theory :)
Here is the relevant portion of the HISTORY file.
- changes since the last development release (8.0.1q)
- fixed bad bug that could prevent a ship from seeing enemy
torps that were fired at it from >ACCINFO_DIST away,
depending on the firing ship's war settings.
- block updates when a RELOAD is occuring to prevent
possbility of sending a corrupt packet stream. This could
also happen when starting a client recording.
- fixed problem with around() and round() which depend on
BSD rint(). rint() seems to screw up rounding when the
fractional part is exactly .5 - rounding down on even
numbers, rounding up on odd. How odd. Now use our own
rounding function that always does the right thing.
- the wrong team was logged as the geno'd team to the logfile.
- remove code that killed armies on ships belonging to a
geno'd team. I did not expect that code would cause a war
in itself :)
- here is a brief overview of major features/changes since
last stable release (8.0.1)
- GLUT based OpenGL client, conquestgl.
- the conqreplay program is gone, as the clients, conquest
(curses) and conquestgl (OpenGL) are now used to replay
.cqr files via the '-P <cqrfile>' cmdline option.
- The game protocol changed (in devel version 8.0.1j). This
protocol corrects some shortcomings in the 8.0.1 protocol
(like doomsday, planet realness, etc), and now provides
for client-side computation of torpedo and planet
movement. This makes the game smoother, particularly in
conquestgl, and significantly cuts down on the network
- a variety of game related bugs fixed, including, but not
- doomsday protocol was 'missing'.
- planet 'realness' was never propagated to a client.
- geno's against the feds were rarely counted.
- Slingshot flag could be bypassed.
- a planet's army count is sent immediately to a newly
- a bug in system entry selection could cause you
to get stuck in Murisak when entering the game.
- several lock contention, and signal interrupt
- FEEDBACK messages are now sent directly to the client
without making a round trip through the common block.
- UDP support (auto-negotiated, but still perhaps a bit
weak) for ship motion data.
- UDP support can be disabled by specifying the '-u'
option to the client.
- Improve TCP performance via TCP_NODELAY.
- use CTL-R in the cockpit to force a complete packet
refresh from the server.
- new user options (~/.conquestrc)
- 'do_enemyshipbox' - when set to 'true', will draw a 1
pixel red square around enemy ships in the LR/SR views.
(GL client only).
- 'do_draw_viewerbg' - define this as 'true' if you want
to see the rather attractive background image (Hubble
Ultra Deep Field) displayed in the viewer. (GL client
- conqdriv now updates planet positions every 10th/sec.
Previously these were only updated every 5 seconds.
This provides much smoother planet movement, especially
in the GL client.
- conqdriv now updates a ship's orbital position every
10th/sec rather than 1/sec. This makes orbiting
planets much smoother.
- meta server/protocol changes
- The meta protocol has been updated to support new
'server_contact' and 'localtime' fields.
- the meta server now sorts the server list by the number
of currently active players, rather than the server
- meta selection code in client can now differentiate
between incompatible servers.
- fixed a bug where the meta server could not distinguish
between multiple servers that were running on the same
host, but listening on different ports.
- much code restructuring, new libraries, removal of dead code.
Jon Trulson mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
"I am Nomad." -Nomad
More information about the Conquest