[nas] [RFC] send debug output to syslog as well

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Wed Jan 30 11:34:54 MST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:50:12AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> erik wrote:
>  > >
>  > >   Would it make sense to have debugging go to stderr only if it's not
>  > >   running as a daemon?
>  >
>  > Using syslog if running as daemon and stderr otherwise makes sense. I'll
>  > take a look at how to implement this later...
>
> i'd have no problem with it always going to syslog, and also to stderr
> if not daemonized.  which is slightly different than what you said.  but
> either behavior is okay.

Well, I think using syslog only when running nasd as a daemon (which has
no stderr) is better. If you want to save the output of a non-daemonized
nasd in a file you can redirect stderr. I don't think it is useful to
spam the syslog with duplicated debugging messages. I just did not think
about this way to discriminate between nasd usages. At least in part
because neither the rc-script in nas/contrib/ nor the debian init-script
uses -b...

I plan to implement this in the next few days, just not right now. ;)
Including an update to the rc-script.

Erik
--
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
                        -- Philip K. Dick