[nas] firefox audio solution?

Paul Fox pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us
Sun Feb 10 21:13:11 MST 2008

jon wrote:
 > On Sun, 10 Feb 2008, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > > ENVIRONMENT
 > > >   FIREFOX_DSP - configures the /dev/dsp wrapper to use.
 > > >   Accepted values are "auto", "arts", "esd" or "none" (default).
 > > >   Do not use this feature to select "auto" or "esd" as this will
 > > >   involve using "esddsp" which is known to be buggy and to make
 > > >   Firefox unstable.
 > >
 > > i'm not sure i understand this.  what _is_ the /dev/dsp wrapper that
 > > they're talking about?  is "audio_oss" a dsp wrapper?
 > >

 >    libaudioss 'wraps' /dev/dsp accesses via open(), write(),

yes, i knoew that's what libaudiooss is -- i was trying to interpret
the values of $FIREFOX_DSP.  are they library names?  are they shim
names?  is whatever they represent documented?  if libaudiooss a member
of that club?  etc.

 >    etc... Alot of OSS software these days seem to be using C stdio
 >    (fopen(), fwrite(), etc)... libaudiooss does not support this
 >    currently.
 >
 >    I discovered this with timidity a few months ago.

oh, interesting.

 >    I haven't heard from the audiooss maintainer in quite awhile, maybe
 >    bringing libaudioss into the nas project and fixing it up to support
 >    stdio would be worthwhile?

certainly if it would help keep NAS viable, it would be.  audiooss is
available from ubuntu, so it must have some sort of maintainer.  i
can look into it.

paul