[nas] signal handling fixes for 2.6.2X

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Feb 10 11:36:01 MST 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:03:56PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> i see that debian lenny is now using NAS 1.9.1.  does this
> guarantee that it will make it into the next (after gutsy)
> version of ubuntu?

You have to ask the ubuntu package maintainer, I suppose. ;)

> i didn't pay much attention when jon and erik worked on it,
> because it wasn't affecting me, but after upgrading to gutsy i
> realized that the signal handling fixes that are in 1.9.1
> (described below) are critical for newer kernels -- NAS is
> unusable without these changes.
>
> so if anything needs to be pushed to get 1.9.1 in play asap, we
> (and i'm volunteering, if need be) should do that pushing.

Well, 1.9.1 is a "stable" release and the issues with newer kernels are
real. This has to be told to the ubuntu package maintainers.

I don't know the ubuntu packages, but they might contain some patches
that might need porting to the current NAS version, this could be done
by any interested party (hint, hint ;). You might want to check this.

NAS 1.9.1 is running great on "my" systems, including some thin clients
and two debian unstable systems. I can see no technical reason to use an
older version.

Erik
--
Full disclosure is the only thing that forces vendors to fix security problems.
                        -- Bruce Schneier