[nas] nasd outputs only part of a sample, client stalls -- exceptunder strace

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Sep 3 13:28:38 MDT 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Erik Auerswald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 08:24:18PM -0600, Jon Trulson wrote:

>>> This seems to be correct -- sending a SIGALRM to nasd whenever the
>>> playback hangs results in continued playback.
>>>

>>   Ok.  Attached is a patch that reworks the signal handling in the
>>   voxware server.  I do not have a spare machine to test the newer
>>   kernels on, so I have no idea if this will affect the problem you
>>   guys are seeing.
>
> This patch does not affect the lost SIGALRM, the observable behaviour is
> the same as with the current svn revision: nasd hangs after a while and
> resumes after receiving a SIGALRM.

   Darn.  I was hoping that since DIA can now block properly...

>>   I do believe it (the patch) to be the correct way of doing it
>>   though.  In addition, DIA dispatch is now able to properly block the
>>   appropriate signal when it needs to, which it couldn't before
>>   (requiring the racy block/unblocks in intervalProc).  Make sure dia/
>>   gets rebuilt as well after applying this patch. Or just do a 'make
>>   World' to be sure :)
>
> The patch seems to be correct to me, but I have no experience in signals
> programming.
>
>>   Let me know if this corrects anything (and especially if it breaks
>>   anything).  I'll wait before committing until I get some kind of
>>   feedback.
>
> AFAIK it does not break anything and it sure looks cleaner to me.

   I've committed it (with some formatting/whitespace changes).  You
   might want to revert auvoxware.[hc] before updating from svn.

   I'll have to see about installing one of these kernels and try to
   track the problem further (unless someone beats me to it :).

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com
#include <std/disclaimer.h>