[nas] nasd outputs only part of a sample, client stalls -- exceptunder strace

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sat Sep 1 10:12:10 MDT 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 05:38:27PM -0600, Jon Trulson wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Frank Büttner wrote:
>
>  Can you verify if the attached patch has any effect on this problem?

I've just seen the same problem on a debian system using kernel 2.6.22.
The machine used 2.6.18 until recently and did not show this behaviour
then. Like Martin (mmurray <mmurray at deepthought.org>) wrote this seems
to be kernel-related.

The proposed fix, commited to svn in revision 259, works for me.

Since the original (pre-259) code seems to be wrong (or at least
illogical) I don't think it's a kernel bug/regression. The relevant
kernel changes just make it easier to hit this NAS bug, IMHO.

Erik
--
[T]he fact that something *can* be done the stupid way is in no way an
argument that it *should* be done the stupid way.