[nas] Re: nas and pulseaudio?

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sun Nov 11 13:22:11 MST 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> Jon Trulson wrote:
>>   OSS and ALSA are low level API's... Esound is a 'simple' sound
>>   server.  There are no doubt esound, alsa and oss plugins for pulse
>>   audio.  There could be a nas plugin as well, if someone wanted to
>>   write one... Or am I missing something?
>
> Pulseaudio also has a esound server plugin, i.e. esound clients can
> connect to pulseaudio using the esound protocol.
> Now, a nas server plugin would certainly be nice, especially since
> pulseaudio has working resampling and you can also control the
> volume of each client using a gui tool. :)

[...]
> Cool stuff. :)

   Ahhh... I didn't get that nuance from the website.  So basically, a
   plugin (or minature nasd server really) would be integrated into
   pulse audio, allowing it to understand NAS protocol?  It would
   listen on the same ports, etc so that all existing nas clients could
   talk NAS to a pulse audio server instead and not really know the
   difference?.

   That would indeed be cool. :)

--
Happy cheese in fear                 | Jon Trulson
against oppressor, rebel!            | mailto:jon at radscan.com
Brocolli, hostage.       -Unknown    | #include <std/disclaimer.h>