[nas] Re: You are apparently unaware that you (with NAS) are violating the GPL?

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Fri Jun 8 11:45:51 MDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Soren A wrote:

> WRT http://www.radscan.com/nas/nas-README.txt
>
> Violates the GPL license that applies when NAS is built with
> (distributed as) a Cygwin-linked binary.

   Wow, nice to meet you too!  You meet so many cool people on the
   internet.

> Your "un-obnoxiously licensed software" is *GPLed* software if you
> distribute it / deliver it via Cygwin.

   No, it is not.  Also, if you had bothered even checking your facts,
   perhaps you would have noticed that I do not ship binary
   distributions of NAS at all.

> Did you even bother to check?

   You obviously did not.

> And it is also incorrect, unsupported and nasty to distribute the
> Cygwin1.dll as part of your application binary package for that
> platform (MS Windows). Cygwin1.dll must be provided on the end
> user's system by installing Cygwin (see www.cygwin.com).

   I will keep that in mind should I ever decide to ship binary
   versions of nas for windows.

   Cygwin is an impressive project - I wonder, why the hostility toward
   NAS?  What's the real problem here?

>  Regards,
>   Soren Andersen
>   Just a user/supporter of FLOSS / Free Software.

   Unless the software is MIT rather than GPL?

   I'll CC the NAS mailing list in case someone on there has an
   opinion.   But thanks for the friendly chat.

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com
#include <std/disclaimer.h>