[nas] audiooss buffer underrun

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Aug 6 20:51:39 MDT 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 jonshan at eden.rutgers.edu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to play audio remotely using NAS and audiooss. I am running
> the program by doing: "audiooss <program> <output to /dev/dsp>". At the
> server, I am hearing beating noise and the client machine outputs
> "audiooss: buffer underrun".
>
> One of the suggestions on this mailing list was to edit nasaudio.c and
> increase the buffer size. I assume the variable to increase is
> MIN_BUFFER_SIZE but even if I increase it to 64 times the original value,
> I am still getting buffer underrun. I also tried changing the output rate
> of my program to very low output rates (1000 Hz), but still no resolution.
>
> Am I editing the right value? Is there any other work-around?

   I haven't played with audiooss is awhile, but I assume that:

   - auplay on some wav file works ok?
   - using audiooss on something like 'play' works ok?

   It just sounds like the audiooss library is simply not getting data
   fast enough... Increasing the buffer size might help if you were
   having overruns, but since you are not...

   Of course I am assuming that this underrun is not happening at the
   server...

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com