[nas] native alsa bottom-end

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Fri May 12 22:47:51 MDT 2006

Hi,

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 05:49:41PM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> has anyone ever looked into writing a native alsa dda layer
> for nasd?

The other way would be nice, too (a plugin for ALSA to output to NAS).
;-)

> mostly the oss compatibility stuff in alsa makes this
> unnecessary, but currently i'm having a very odd problem where i
> can play sounds via nasd just fine, but can't control the volume.

With a default configuration nasd changes mixer settings only when
playing (or recording). IIRC you can tell nasd to always control the
output device, therefore stopping other programs from using it. This way
you can control the mixer even when not playing/recording. (Disclaimer:
I did not test this...)

You should make sure that you're playing something via NAS when trying
to change the volume. We had the problem that whenever one user was
playing sounds, aupanel did not "work". The solution was that he was
using ALSA for sound output instead of NAS.

Erik