[nas] mplayer and NAS

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Thu Jun 29 20:09:30 MDT 2006

/On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Darren wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I finally have my NAS server setup under Windows with cygnus with the options

         Cool...

> $ nasd -aa -pn -v

         Out of curiousity, why is '-pn' neccessary... Last time I
         built under cygwin (server) I did not need that option.

> On the client side I am running Linux, SLC 4 and I have verified that
> the NAS works, as I setup xmms-nas which worked wonders, I was very
> impressed to finally hear network audio cross platform.  Good job !

         Mandrake 10.2 here.

> However I can't get mplayer working, which was the whole reason for
> configuring NAS.  I am using MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.2.3.  I am testing
> mplayer first of all by just playing a simple mp3, and not a video
> file.

         I have:

MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.4.1 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel  (Family: 8, Stepping: 3)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

> Does mplayer need to be recompiled to get NAS to work with it ?  I
> don't understand why the -ao nas option does'nt work.

      Normally it tries to autodetect (probably by looking for
      audio/audiolib.h) in /usr/include/ .

      You can also pass '--enable-nas' to configure.  Make sure the
      /usr/include/audio/ dir is there and that the libaudio library
      exists on the machine you are building NAS on.

      Playing an AVI:

Checking audio filter chain for 32000Hz/2ch/s16le ->
32000Hz/2ch/s16le...
AF_pre: 32000Hz/2ch/s16le
AO: [nas] 32000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 32000Hz/2ch/s16le ->
32000Hz/2ch/s16le...
Starting playback...

            Works fine here...

> Lastly, it would be nice to see some updates on the webpage for how to
> configure different clients under more upto date Linux distributions.

         Can you be more specific?

         If you are talking about what is needed to compile clients
         that use nas (install dev headers/libs/etc) - well, that
         probably changes every week depending on your linux flavor and
         client software... :)

         If you have a specific instructions for specific dists, send
         them on - I could put up a section/page with OS specific
         instructions.  But I myself cannot install and test linux
         dists or other OS's with NAS - I depend on the various dist
         maintainers, like Steve (Debian) and James
         (Solaris/Blastwave) for that information (and the occasional
         patch).

         The only configuration the client needs at runtime is either
         'AUDIOSERVER=nasserver:0' or some way of telling the client to use
         NAS...

[...]
> CommandLine: '-v' '3' '-ao' 'nas' '-nojoystick'
[...]

> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
[...]

   Wonder what these are?

> Playing 3.
> File not found: '3'
> Failed to open 3

   What's '3'?  Looks like it's trying to play the file '3'?

[...]
> Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/s16le ->
> 44100Hz/2ch/s16le...
> [libaf] Adding filter dummy
> [dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/s16le
> AF_pre: 44100Hz/2ch/s16le
> ao2: 44100 Hz  2 chans  s16le
> audio_setup: using '/dev/dsp' dsp device
> audio_setup: using '/dev/mixer' mixer device
> audio_setup: using 'pcm' mixer device

   It didn't like your 'ao' - either it was confused, or it didn't
   understand 'nas'.

  So it fell back to:

> [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or
> directory
> [AO ARTS] Connected to sound server.
> [AO ARTS] Stream opened.
> [AO ARTS] buffer size: 20480
> [AO ARTS] buffer size: 2048
> AO: [arts] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)
> AO: Description: aRts audio output
> AO: Author: Michele Balistreri
> Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/s16le ->
> 44100Hz/2ch/s16le...
> [dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/s16le
> [dummy] Was reinitialized: 44100Hz/2ch/s16le

   Which appears to be an internal 'null' audio device..?

   So make sure nas support was compiled in to mplayer, and you might
   make sure AUDIOSERVER env var points to your nas server...

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com http://radscan.com/~jon