[nas] `nasd -v -d 99 -aa` under FreeBSD -current gives "Output open(/dev/dsp) failed: No such file"

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Mon Jan 31 18:49:08 MST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 06:28:26PM -0500, Dave Richards wrote:
> You are confusing what runs on the server and what runs on the thin
> clients.  The thin clients already have the 'daemon' running and
> watching for NAS sound.

Ah! That's what I was missing. It's much like X terminology, then.

> All you do is start up something like audemo and the thin clients do the
> rest.

And audemo does indeed work :-)

On to my next task:
I've been unable to get any more "advanced" NAS clients talking to the
NAS servers in the thin clients. The FreeBSD mpg123 port has a knob
(WITH_NAS=yes) that doesn't appear to work as advertised, and a NAS
output plugin for xmms is completely absent.

Is anyone else using NAS with FreeBSD able to shed some light on the
best way to get some common clients working?

I tried building the NAS xmms plugin by handi (ver 0.2, all I could find
since the home site isn't responding), but while xmms sees the plugin it
always claims that it's unable to use the device. When I configure the
plugin to use "tcp/skinny16:8000" as the NAS server I get:

$ xmms
Audio Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  3 (Au_SetDeviceAttributes)
  Serial number of failed request:  3
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xa246)!

I'm currently working on trying to repair the mpg123 port.

-T

--
... the most palpable description of bread is that of hunger.
	Tadeusz Rozewicz