[nas] Question regarding performance of playRaw and AuHandleEvents()

Matt Prazak prazak_lists at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 20:22:19 MDT 2004

--- Matt Prazak <prazak_lists at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Apparently, everything I have been seeing with the choppy output
> under Solaris on an UltraSPARC was a known problem back in 2000,
> but it wasn't resolved (they blamed it on the Solaris kernel driver
> for Ultra platforms).  One thing I have been seeing is that the
> problem is definitely related to when SIGPOLL events are being
> generated for the processAudioSignal() function, so this does seem
> to corroborate that the kernel driver might not work well at the
> 44100Hz 2-channel data rate.  However, I don't have a problem
> playing audio CDs under Solaris nor is there a problem when
> ogg123 uses a native Sun /dev/audio driver...I'll take a look at
> the xmcd and ogg123 source code to see why they work well.

It seems the other applications that work do so by managing their own
timing and writing directly to /dev/audio.  They don't rely on SIGPOLL
at all.  It seems that the solution for Solaris/UltraSPARC (which was
mentioned in the 2000 thread) is to find a new implementation that
bypasses SIGPOLL entirely while still fitting in with NAS'
architecture.  Unfortunately, this is a bit beyond what I can do right
now.

Matt