[nas] segfault on amd64

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Fri Dec 31 15:48:09 MST 2004

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, David Liontooth wrote:

> Jon Trulson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, David Liontooth wrote:
[...]

> Sounds great -- you're a great salesman, making it sound really simple (now
> let's hope for truth in advertizing) <gg>

 	:) Well, I never intentionally lie...

>>     In X equivalent, it would be like:
>>
>>     X -ac &
>>     export DISPLAY=:0
>>     xdpyinfo &
>>
> I still don't get it. I don't want display :0, I want the sound to get to the
> remote box. Sorry if I'm slow, but I still don't see how this is done.

 	Remember, this was just a simple example to show the correlation
between X11 and NAS.

 	In your scenario, you would set DISPLAY to point toward the
machine with the Xserver running on it before starting an X11 app, yes?

 	In NAS, you do the same thing.  Set AUDIOSERVER to point toward
the machine with the NAS server on it.

>>     I guess the instructions assume familiarity with X11.
>
> Let's drop that assumption, just for pretend. To run applications remotely
> through X11, I do this:
>
> Machine A:  /etc/ssh/ssh_config ForwardX11 yes
> Machine B: /etc/ssh/sshd_config X11Forwarding yes
>
> A: ssh B application

 	So, 'A' is the machine with your Xserver (and where the app will
display), 'B' is the machine where the app actually runs.

> In the case of NAS, I would expect something like this:
>
> B: nasd -aa &
> B: export AUDIOSERVER=A:0
> B: xmms
>
> Sound comes out of A.  I'm missing something, right?  Just as an experiment,

 	If my statement above holds true, then the sequence you would need
would be more like:

 	On machine 'A':

 		nasd -aa &

 	On Machine 'B':

 		export AUDIOSERVER=A:0
 		xmms (if nas plugin is installed)

> try using machine names A and B instead of "the client"
> and "the server" (or not telling the user which machine should issue the
> command).

 	In sounds like in your case, 'A' is the server, 'B' is the client.

> Very true -- so the remote system's input channel is also exported?
> In that case, why is the default configuration file using one
> /dev node for input (I don't have a /dev/dsp1) and another for output?

 	Yes.

 	Some devices allow read/write on a single dsp device, while other
use seperate devices (dsp0 dsp1).  Still others are half-duplex, requiring
interleaved read-only/write-only access... nasd will try to do the correct
thing.

>>     Try something simpler first:
>>
>>     export AUDIOSERVER=<machine where nas is running>:0
>>     auplay <some random .wav file>
>>
>>     If you hear it, then you know NAS is probably functioning properly.
>
> Could you repeat these instructions indicating which machine you issue them
> on?
> Sorry to be terribly slow, but what would make sense to me is this (repeating
> myself):
>
> A is my laptop where I sit, B is my server where the sound originates.
>
> B: nasd -aa &
> B: export AUDIOSERVER=A:0
> B: auplay test.wav
>
> Sound comes out of A.

 	Correct, except you only need to run nasd on the machine where you
want the sound to come out.

> Is this what should be happening?

 	I believe so...  Though in the above case you would not need to
start nasd on B, only on A where you want the sound to go.

> kpdf sees nothing. kghostview sees one page (presumably the last) -- a list
> of references. There are no pages to page up to. But plain old gs does see it
> -- as you describe, it displays the last one first, and you have to know to
> page down to see the previous.  You have to admit this is the epitomy of unix
> hackerdom. A new user of Linux would have no clue how to access this document
> (I've never had to use gs before).  Does gs have a command that lets you
> print a single page? Couldn't we do something like print each page to a new
> file and then reassemble in the right order, hopefully in a format that is
> more easily read by regular pdf readers? (Admittedly, kpdf often fails on new
> pdf documents too.)

 	Odd... My gv and acroread can read these fine.

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad