[nas] GNOME/XD2 To NAS & Other NAS Things.

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 23 12:06:35 MDT 2003

Jon Trulson <jon at radscan.com> wrote:

> >    Is anyone doing some work to get ESD working with NAS in the same way
> > that Erik made it work with OSS (a LD_PRELOAD)?

I just run esd itself under Erik's LD_PRELOAD.  Then esd clients talk to
a real ESD server, and the ESD server talks to NAS via the .

This approach has redundent network traffic -- once from client to ESD,
then once from ESD to NAS -- but for sound effects this is fine.  ESD
seems to mostly be about sound effects anyway -- last I checked, you
could not do flow control.

> 	Have you seen Laurence Vivier's esound patch?  It adds a
> DEVICE_NAS output to the esound daemon.
[...]
> 	He didn't want to bother to submit it to the esound guys for
> obvious reasons ;-)

Aww, he should bother.  Just be tactful.  I think most people want their
Linux boxes to support all the sound server protocols, and hopefully the
ESD maintainers are happy to help in this end.

-Lex