[nas] Clients die upon server death -- workaround?

Raymond Toy toy at rtp.ericsson.se
Thu Jan 23 11:30:48 MST 2003

    Jon> 	I did this awhile back remeber? ;-)  There was nothing I saw that

I remember that just after I sent the message. :-)

    Jon> specifically handled this case.  I wonder - do you know if Xemacs is
    Jon> running it's nas client code in a seperate thread/process?  This would
    Jon> also be a way around the problem I believe.  I do know that once
    Jon> _AuIOError() is called, the process will exit.  I just don't know how else
    Jon> xemacs would survive...

I have no idea how it works.  That code is 5-10 years old and written
by someone else.  But xemacs is definitely not using another thread or
process.  nas.c is all there is.

But right now, my xemacs is talking to the ausun just fine.

I just killed ausun, and xemacs says the audio server connection was
broken.  (Sound still works because it falls back to talking directly
to the sound port.)

Now I've restarted ausun.  XEmacs has now automatically connected to
the server again and is using ausun to play sounds.  (Which I can
easily see from auinfo because some buckets are in use.)

I have no idea how this works, but I like it very much. :-)

Ray