[nas] HPUX

David Morano morano at ele.uri.edu
Mon Sep 30 11:22:09 MDT 2002

> 	Oh, that's disgusting ;-)  I forgot all about that crap.
> Apparently, in earlier versions of HPUX (don't know about now), there was
> a version of bcopy in some syslib that conflicted with generally accepted
> 'standards' of bcopy.  So this mess above, would extract a known working
> copy of bcopy() from some library and then embed it within NAS, thereby
> removing the need for the linker to bring in the 'broken' version.

Amazing !!  I didn't know that HPUX was so messed up !!

> 	I think that in this day and age of flying machines and
> light bulbs, most systems these days support memmove().  Perhaps it's time
> to remove the bcopy dependancies and replace them with memmove (at least
> for the server).  That would also allow me to gleefully remove the mess
> above.

Yes, please migrate to 'memcpy()', 'memmove()' et cetera !

What many people do for maintenance of old codes is to make #defines
for 'bcopy()' and friends to actually call 'memcpy()' et cetera.
But it is still better to just change the code to call the new standard
functions.

The U.S. went to the moon back in 1969 !  I do not know how long SVID,
X/OPEN, POSIX, et cetera have had 'memcpy()' and friends standardized
but it would be nice to finally take advantage of that standard !! :-)

Dave Morano
morano at computer.org
University of Rhode Island