[nas] Re: help with using sox with nas

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Wed Oct 2 07:58:23 MDT 2002

sibusiso xolo wrote:

> I am trying to route sound from a bt848 tv/radio card  (using v4l) to a remote
> nas server:  I have done the  following:-
> 1) I have libaudiooss installed
> 3) the commands
>  export AUDIOSERVER=remote:0.0  and
>  export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudiooss.so.1.0
> are issued on  the local and remote hosts.

You only need this on the client (local) host. For the server it is
sufficient if it runs nasd.

> 4) on the local host with the bt848 card  I use the sound routing/conversion
> utility known as sox as follows:
> sox -w -c 2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp -t raw - | auplay -l
>
> but nothing happens.  I would be grateful for any help ffrom nas users who

In this case it is not good to globally export the LD_PRELOAD line
because this means libaudiooss is linked agains every app you start
after that and it always tries to redirect accesses to /dev/dsp to the
server.
auplay does seem to have some problems with playing from stdin, but this
should work:

LD_PRELOAD= sox -w -s -c 2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp -t raw - | LD_PRELOAD=libaudiooss.so sox -t raw -w -s -c 2 -r 44100 - -t ossdsp /dev/dsp

Here the first sox command is used without libaudiooss preloaded so that
it will access your real soundcard and the second is used with
libaudiooss preloaded so that the output will get redirected to the
server.

--
Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits