[nas] help with using sox with nas

Erik Inge Bolsø knan at mo.himolde.no
Wed Oct 2 06:33:18 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, sibusiso xolo wrote:
>Greeetings
>
>I am trying to route sound from a bt848 tv/radio card  (using v4l) to a remote
>nas server:  I have done the  following:-
>1) I have libaudiooss installed
>3) the commands
> export AUDIOSERVER=remote:0.0  and
> export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/X11R6/lib/libaudiooss.so.1.0
>are issued on  the local and remote hosts.
>
>4) on the local host with the bt848 card  I use the sound routing/conversion
>utility known as sox as follows:
>sox -w -c 2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp -t raw - | auplay -l
>
>but nothing happens.  I would be grateful for any help ffrom nas users who
>have used sox  with nas to convert and route sound .  If other  conversion
>and routing  programs are available  that work with nas I would also like to
>know.
>
>Yours sincerely
>Sibu Xolo

A couple of problems:

auplay can't read from a pipe (or at least couldn't in 1999, AFAICT).

libaudiooss shouldn't be loaded on the host with the tv/radio card.

No time for more, I'm at work. Hope this points you in the right direction
:)

--
Erik I. Bolsø | email: <knan at mo.himolde.no>
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to