[nas] libao support for NAS?

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Mar 25 19:25:57 MST 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Paul Fox wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:09:34 -0500
> From: Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: [nas] libao support for NAS?
>

> has anyone looked into doing a NAS plugin for libao, the vorbis
> audio library?  i'm frustrated that now that i have my mpg123
> NAS code working properly, there doesn't seem to be a good place
> to send the patches.  and i didn't realize mpg123 wasn't free software
> when i started.  i'm thinking of switching to mpg321, but it uses
> libao, and libao doesn't have NAS support (yet :-).

	mpg123 isn't free ?!?  When did this happen? And now
mpg321... What did I miss?!? ;-)

	I looked up Vorbis (Ogg) with my trusty google - the vorbis
library seems to be a codec, so I wouldn't think you'd want NAS support in
there, but in the player using vorbis itself... Am I looking at the right
vorbis?

http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/

> it _does_ have ESD support, and apparently ESD can go remote.  has
> anyone compared esd and nas?

	I had *heard* it was a fairly simple library for playing samples,
and it had an endianess problem with remote hosts (non-intel).  This was
awhile ago so things may have changed.  How about Erik's libaudiooss?
Wouldn't that work pretty well?  Or we could just add NAS support to
mpg321 (or whatever)...

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.