[nas] Nas-1.5 make error on UnixWare 7

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed Feb 13 18:53:56 MST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Matt Schalit wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:54:13 -0800
> From: Matt Schalit <mschalit at pacbell.net>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: Re: [nas] Nas-1.5 make error on UnixWare 7
>
> Jon Trulson wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Matthew Schalit wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:54:11 -0800
> > > From: Matthew Schalit <mschalit at pacbell.net>
> > > To: nas at radscan.com
> > > Subject: [nas] Nas-1.5 make error on UnixWare 7
> > >

> > > I gave the 1.5 a try and built it exactly like the
> > > directions mentioned, on UnixWare 7.1.1, using
> > >
> > >   imake -D....
> > >
> > > and it errors out in the lib/audio directory:'

[...]

> >         ...threadsafety in libaudio ;-)
> >
> >         Interesting... It does build on UW 2.0.3 (which, admittedly,
> > is a bit old) with gcc and an X11R6.4 env...
>
> R6.4?  I use UnixWare 7.1.1 and it only has X11R6.1, heh.

	;-)  Well, UW 2.x's X11R5 was too primitive for the stuff I needed
to build, and it's dev bits well pretty broken anyway...  SO I guess when
I said it built and work fine on my UW box, that really didn't mean too
much, sorry ;-)  My X11R5 (UW orig) doesn't even support threads.

> >         It looks like XMUTEX_INITIALIZER isn't defined, or is defined
> > improperly.  On my UW system, XMUTEX_INITIALIZER is defined as '{0}' in
> > X11/Xthreads.h.  IF you send me your Xthreads.h header file, along with
> > the output (preprocessor) of:
> >
> > cc -E -Xa -Dasm=__asm -DANSICPP  -I../../include -Dusl -DUSL -DSVR4 -Di386  -DNARROWPROTO -DXTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DMALLOC_0_RETURNS_NULL -O mutex.c
> >
> >         I could try to take a guess at what it's being set to.
>

> Ok they are emailed jon at radscan so as not to spam the list.

	Got them.  Yes, XMUTEX_INITIALIZER is in fact not defined for the
SVR4 case in your R6.1 Xthreads.   I'll send to in a seperate email a
mutex.h that *may* work for you, though I see some other things in the
R6.4 header than in the R6.1 header for UW...

	If it doesn't work, then maybe we just disable it for UW until it
can be fixed by someone with a UW 7.x box...

> >         OR, if you don't really care about threadsafety (ie: no threaded
> > audio apps), you can just make sure XTHREADS and _REENTRANT are undefined.
>

> Was I supposed to throw in those for the attached output?
> I didn't.  Thanks,

	Nah, what you sent was good enough to explain the problem
:-)  Though you do need to make sure XUSE_MTSAFE_API is also
defined.  Probably can be handled in the Imakefile.

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.