[nas] NAS 1.5f (devel) is now available

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Aug 26 20:17:28 MDT 2002

	... at the usual place http://www.radscan.com/nas/

	The main changes here were to improve support on Cygwin with MS
Windows.  There are still issues with linking clients that use Xt.  I have
not heard from Nicholas Wourms at cygwin, who I believe has a fix for
this.  Nicolas Escuder has reported that the clients have some runtime
issues with the server as well, though without any Windows here, there is
nothing I can do about that.  It sounds like the conn code in libaudio may
need some tweaking for Windows.

	At anyrate, here is the current CHANGES file.  I think soon, we
should go to a full 1.5.1 release... There have been alot of changes since
1.5 ;-)

1.5f	8/26/2002

	- time for another development update.  Should probably go
          final with a 1.5.1 version soon...

        7/23/2002

	- removed fdset.h stuff for cygwin - no longer needed.

	- auvoxware - added __CYGWIN__ checks (equal to linux)

	- added __CYGWIN__ to dia/auservertype.h

	- changed server imake to build nasd.exe on cygwin rather than nasd.

        7/20/2002

	- added cygwinArchitecture to the server Imakefile so
          auvoxware will be built on cygwin systems.

	- Removed the SoundFileInfo[] array in sound.h so cygwin would
          be happy.  Apps should not have been accessing that array
          directly anyways.

	  Added the following new functions to sound.c (that used to
	  be macros in sound.h):

	     SoundFileFormatString, SoundValidDataFormat,
	     SoundFileFormatToString, SoundFileFormatToAbbrev,
	     SoundFileFormatToSuffixes

	  Assuming your code did not attempt to directly access
	  SoundFileInfo[], no changes should be required.

	  libaudio.so revision bumped to 2.3

	- re-added back the Xtutils stuff, as some of the demos did in
          fact require it.  cygwin has a problem with implicitly
          defined functions anyway.

        7/15/2002

	- patch from Nicholas Wourms.

	  - fixed FIONREAD in Alibint.c for cygwin
	  - fixed Imake for libaudio on cygwin

        7/9/2002

	- rename dia/nasconfig.* to dia/nasconf.* to avoid name
          collision with NasConfig.h on windows systems.

1.5e    7/7/2002

	- added patch from Nicolas Escuder that adds support for
          Windows operating systems using Cygwin.  Even the NAS server
          is now supported.  There are still issues with building
          regarding Imake, but once I can get more information, I'll
          fix those up.

	  Read the README.CYGWIN file in the nas/ directory for
	  instructions.  I will provide a link on the nas-links page
	  to precompiled windows binaries for libaudio.dll, nasd, and
	  some clients - provided by Nicolas.

	- based on idea from Nicolas, added background (-b) mode to
          nasd, to force it to run in the background.  Actually, he
          supplied a patch, but I just redid it to work properly with unix
          systems.

	  If you want to see error messages from nasd while starting
	  up, do not run it in daemon mode or you won't see the error
	  messages as stdout/stderr are closed.  Someday, I'll track
	  down all of these and have them use osLogMsg(), which would
	  work regardless.

	- added NAS_AUDIOMSGFILE in config/NasConfig.h to specify
          where audio messages are stored (ADMPATH in os/osinit.c).

	- Yes, we are at 1.5e now. Sorry I didn't release 1.5b-d.  Was
          a little busy with the day job ;-)

1.5d    6/1/2002

	- added .ps -> .pdf conversions in doc/pdf/

	- added html versions of man pages in doc/html/

1.5c    3/27/2002

	- removed Xtutil[hc] from libaudio and removed references to
          Xtutil.h in the  clients.  Suggestion by Paul Fox.

1.5b    3/16/2002

        - added patch from Marco Molteni to add a '-local' option to
	  nasd.  Specifying this option allows only local clients to
	  connect.

        - fix nasd.man to describe this and other supported options.

        - moved allow_any_host into the NasConfig struct.  Along with
          the new '-local' option.

1.5a    2/23/2002

	- more STARTSERVER fixes - there was still one case where when
          STARTSERVER was defined, nasd could be called with the wrong
          display number due to a bug in _AuConnectServer.

	- changed LEX/YACC DEBUG token to CDEBUG to avoid conflicts
          when building nas with '-DDEBUG'

	- DEFAULT_AUSERVER is now ":0" rather than
          "tcp/localhost:8000".  A local socket connection will startup
          faster than a tcp connection.

	- mutex.h
		- corrected unixware 7.x build problem
                  (XMUTEX_INITIALIZER) in mutex.h
		- added same check for sun/solaris boxes
		- got rid of XUSE_MTSAFE_API - now controlled by
                  NAS_USEMTSAFEAPI defined in config/NasConfig.h

		  If you think you are having mutex problems, you can
		  edit config/NasConfig.h and '#undef'
		  NAS_USEMTSAFEAPI, then rebuild everthing.  This will
		  turn off threadsafety in libaudio.

	- added patch from Tobias Diedrich to fix deadlock in
          AuNextEvent().

	- added new mutex in audio/Alibint.c to protect
          _AuReadEvents() since it can no longer rely on the server
          lock as a result of Tobias's patch above.

	- added new option, 'gain', to config file in the input/output
          sections.  This sets the default gains when nasd starts up
          (if MixerInit is enabled).  Only in voxware for now.

        1/5/2002

	added -lXt and -lXau to the lib dependancy for libaudio.so on
	Linux systems per a request from Lorenzo Delana.

        1/20/2002

	- fixed bug in ConnSvr.c that could cause the wrong server
          number to passed to nasd when STARTSERVER is defined.

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.