[nas] 1.4.2b runtime problems

Matt Schalit mschalit at pacbell.net
Thu Oct 18 01:36:51 MDT 2001

Jon Trulson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Matt Schalit wrote:

> > Hi folks,
> >
> >   I built and installed nas-1.4.2b on UnixWare 7.1.1.
> > When I go to test the system in X, using a terminal
> > I follow the directions in the README and when I get
> > to the point that I type auinfo, I see;
> >
> >   audiolib: warning, client is protcol rev 2.2, server is 11.0!
> >   auinfo: unable to connect to audio server.
> >

>         Interesting... That a new one to me ;-)  NAS is at protcol version
> 2.2... It almost sounds like the client connected to your actual X server
> rather than nasd... X listens on port 6000 and nasd on 8000, so I'm not
> really sure how that can happen...

I think you're right about it connecting to the X server somehow.
When the X server wasn't running, I just got the message that
     auinfo: unable to connect to audio server.

So I started over and rebuilt nas without the hooks for it to start
nasd automatically.

>         Does a netstat -a show you anything useful?

Once I've run nasd -aa &, I can see is listening
on port 8000.

> >   What'd I do wrong?  If it helps at all, here's
> > what nasd reported when I started it:
> >

>         doesn't look like the client (auinfo) even made it to nasd.
> very strange.
>
>         What does it do when you aren't running an X server?  Any diff?

I ran nasd -aa & and then tried all these without X:

   auinfo -audio yoda:0
   auinfo -audio tcp/yoda:0

   auinfo -audio yoda:8000
   auinfo -audio tcp/yoda:8000

   auinfo -audio 10.1.1.1:0
   auinfo -audio tcp/10.1.1.1:0

   auinfo -audio 10.1.1.1:8000
   auinfo -audio tcp/10.1.1.1:8000

All them returned the same error:
    auinfo: unable to connect to audio server.

Any help appreciated,
Matt