[nas] Can't make it work on SunRay w/Solaris 8

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Jun 11 19:24:54 MDT 2001

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, Andy Stewart wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:17:17 -0400
> From: Andy Stewart <andy.stewart at sun.com>
> To: nas at radscan.com
> Subject: [nas] Can't make it work on SunRay w/Solaris 8
>

> HI all,
>
> I've loaded up nas-1.4.2a on my SunRay server running Solaris 8.  I fire
> up nasd and it immediately exits, thus:
>
> 	prompt> nasd -aa -v -d 1
> 	Init: will close device when finished with stream.
>
> 	Fatal server error:
> 	could not create audio connection block info

	This is kind of a mis-nomer... The only times I've seen this is:

	A) Some other app has the device open.
	B) the device doesn't exist
	C) The device is there, but the driver only supports half-duplex
(ie: the /dev/dsp device can't be open for read/write at the same time.).

	Can you run a 'truss' on nasd and look for references to
/dev/audio and /dev/audioctl?  That might point the way.

> Other audio apps, such as xmms, play properly out of my SunRay's
> speaker.  My $DISPLAY variable is set to ":24.0".
>
> I tried this on a different machine (Ultra 60) and got everything to
> work properly.  Its just on the SunRay that I can't make it work.  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

	Don't know anything about SunRays, so the above 'help' may be
completely useless ;-)

[...]

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.