[nas] Can NAS support multiple users on a server?

Hugo Lovhoiden Hugo.Lovhoiden at nr.no
Wed Jan 24 06:18:54 MST 2001

Does anyone know if the network audio system can be adapted to a situation
where you have many users on a _server_?

We use SunRay1s at work. We have 20-30 users connected to the SunRay
server. Audio works just fine, as long as the application producing sound
is running at the server and uses $AUDIODEV.

But: I can only have one instance of nasd running at any one time (I
think?). It is configured to use only one audio device -- thus only one of
our 20 users can use NAS at any given time. Am I right? If so, is this
inherent in the NAS protocol or in the current implementation of nasd?
(not that it matters much, I'm no programmer and can't fix it even if it
is only nasd that needs to be altered :-(

.hugo
--
Hugo Løvhøiden
 IT-sjef, Norsk Regnesentral