[nas] Writing Win9X NAS Server

Raymond Toy toy at rtp.ericsson.se
Thu Sep 21 14:21:22 MDT 2000

    >> >         If the Xfree server and X11 environment could be ported to winxx,
    >>
    >> According to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/ it has *already*
    >> been done.
    >>

    Jon> 	Well, then that makes the job quite a bit easier I would think.
    Jon> Has anybody tried it?  Does it work well?  I notice the libs and
    Jon> environment are supposedly there.  This framework should greatly aid a
    Jon> port of a NAS server to windows.

Are we talking about NAS on native windows or NAS on windows via
cygwin?

In the latter case, NAS used to build just fine with cygwin 19.1.
Just configure and build like any Unix system.  Of course, there are
complaints about the server not being built, but the resulting
libraries and programs work just fine.  I was even able to get XEmacs
built with NAS and have XEmacs on NT pop up a display on my Sun
workstation and have all of the expected sounds come out of my Sun
box.  Cool!

Unfortunately, with cygwin 20 and later, I haven't been able to do
this.  Something about building the libraries has changed so that I
can't build the libraries.

I really miss that....

Ray