[nas] Writing Win9X NAS Server

Erik Inge Bolsø knan at mo.himolde.no
Fri Sep 15 03:48:40 MDT 2000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
>>         Well a straight port of the NAS server to windows is probably the
>> best way to do it, but I don't see how trying to stick it in the Xfree
>> tree would do anything useful.  I suspect they are not interested in doing
>> the port to winxx for us ;-)
>
>On the features side: I think it is very important that time be
>synchronized between audio and graphics streams, and that requires
>cooperation between X and NAS.

Indeed. Wasn't there once something called a X synchronization
extension API? Or was it only a proposal that was silently forgotten in
the mists of time?

>It is probably too soon to try and push NAS as 'the' or even 'the best'
>standard for network audio; but it is a chicken-and-egg case: lack of
>acceptance because lack of a server on one important platform!

ESD has a head start here, a brave soul is reimplementing it in Java, on
top of the Java Sound API. Search around on freshmeat, you'll find it
there.

>But the
>integration could be done as an X-Extension (and I mean on all
>platforms! After all, if XFree can cope with umpteen different graphics
>boards, sound should not be much more difficult!)

I'm not sure I agree. "Do one thing, and do it well..."

>>         If the Xfree server and X11 environment could be ported to winxx,
>
>According to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/xfree/ it has *already*
>been done.

A very encouraging report indeed!

--