[nas] Re: BOUNCE nas at radscan.com: Admin request of type /^\s*config\b/i at line 7 (fwd)

Steve McIntyre stevem at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sun Dec 10 13:06:20 MST 2000

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 12:25:30PM -0700, Jon Trulson wrote:

>	This message didn't get through - the 'config' as the first word
>on a line confused majordomo, unfortunately.

Oops! Just sent...

>	Please re-edit a bit so it can go through and post it... It is
>something that needs to be dicussed.  I brought this up some time ago
>(during the 1.4a-1.4b timeframe), but recieved no response for or against.

OK, I must have missed that. Yes, discussion would be good.

>	What I do in the current version is use 2.x as the protocol level
>that the server reports (which it does).  The library version reflects the
>current NAS distribution, and will reflect updates to the library, but
>not to the protocol.  A seperation of some sort between library and
>protocol revisions seems wise...
>
>	A argument could be made for doing it either way - I'd like to see
>opinion on this.

It's a good question. Is the API of the library likely to change in
any major fashion without the protocol changing? I'd guess it might,
so the two should probably be separated. My main concern is that the
major version of the library just went _backwards_, even though (I
hope) the new library should be binary-compatible with the old.

What might be nice is a new release number - jump from 1.4.1 to
2.0. Then we can unify the library version number with the NAS version
again...

>	How soon until you update the debian package?  I have a couple
>fixes that should go in there, and now might be a good time to settle the
>versioning issue as well.

I've got Erik Inge Bolso's patch for 2 channels (not 3!) applied, and
I'm basically happy now to make a package and release it. I've had to
put a couple of minor things back in from the previous package, but
nothing major. It's all stuff that should apply cleanly on top of any
other changes you have...

Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                   stevem at chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------
"Tongue-tied & twisted, Just an earth-bound misfit, I..."  |Finger for PGP key