[Conquest] Game enhancements (robots)

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sun Sep 2 17:29:33 MDT 2012

On Sun, 2 Sep 2012, Matt Adams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know whether anyone still reads this list but I figured I would
> send word that I'm working on a bunch of enhancements to Conquest (in my
> spare time of course) to hopefully make it a little more interesting.

Oh, there are thousands of subscribers to this list :)

> My idea was to allow otherwise unengaged robots to be able to respond to
> certain messages sent by teammates.  The idea being that one can send a
> message that reads "rendezvous Earth" or "defend Earth/Ship" or "attack
> Earth/Ship" to a robot.
>
> The robots will remain largely autonomous and various factors will
> affect whether the message is complied with (robots with more kills
> won't listen to you) and when the message is received (messages take
> time to travel so the more distant a ship is, the long it takes to
> arrive).
>
> If anyone is interested in these things I will send patches when I've
> got things working a little more smoothly.  No promises as to the
> quality of said patches but hopefully they won't mess things up too
> much.

Hmm.. what if multiple people give the robot conflicting commands?  I
assume this would only work for a robot on the same team - and robots
cannot attack planets. :)  Would be interesting to see what you come
up with though...

I always though it would be nice if a lone player on a server could
call up a robot to battle with.

I also had a variety of updates for conquest planned, but a job and
another project (CDE) keep getting in the way... Someday I'll need to
finish them and release a new version.

--
Jon Trulson

Atoms are what make us matter.