[conquest] A heads up regarding current development

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sat Feb 12 19:18:43 MST 2011

I have been making some changes to the common block structure, and soon,
will be making protocol changes that will break compatibility with
currently available conquest servers.

This is just a heads-up for those of you who track the current code in
mercurial.

There are no immediate release plans, so I think for the *vast*
majority of you, you can probably just ignore this email. :)

If you are only interested in the currently released and 'supported'
conquest, you can check out and track that version by cloning the repo
like so:

hg clone -u conquest-8.5 http://conq.hg.sourceforge.net/hgroot/conq/conq conquest-8.5

In head (or default, in mercurial parlance), there are likely to be
instabilities and protocol incompatibilities as development proceeds.

Just FYI.

I may run a 3rd test server here for those brave enough to try the
bleeding edge when I am ready :)

My goal with the new CB and protocol changes is to correct a lot of
mistakes I made in implementing the current version, as well as
provide/complete new functionality :)

I would like to try to at least maintain backward compatibility with
recording (.cqr) files if possible, and maybe provide some kind of
conversion from the old CB format to the new one, once I've figured
out how I want to new one to look.

Anyway, happy communing!

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com

The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.