[conquest] Re: new conquest strategy guide

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Fri Oct 20 18:18:58 MDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Almighty Tallest Cataboligne wrote:

> David, everyone
>
> At that time I will give you some feedback.  Especially looking
>> forward to reading about macros which was not in the page
>

> Ha ha, thats because I forgot to put it in...it will be under advanced
> strategy.
>
> As far as the etiquette..... I tend to agree with Jon.   This is a game
>> where you CYA or loose it.   Better to play well, play safe, play RTS
>> than depend on your competition to abide by a set of arbitrary rules.
>

> Thats why they are "suggested".
> There is of course no way to enforce any of that on players (the bastard
> cheating operator must be another matter) and whats more it should not be
> forced on players by code.

         It really can't.

         As for cheating oper's, I've certainly played games where the
         oper's cheating (not on Conquest though).  I simply stop
         playing on their servers.  So does everyone else eventually :)
         A player could also post a complaint to this list.

> The etiquette section is really intended for veterans of the game and server
> ops.  I know for a fact some of the stuff mentioned under "Good
> sportsman-ship" can make a new player feel pretty bad about the game.  I'd
> just like to see them have a fair chance of playing for awhile before they
> give up.

         Like the way you were dooshing bela the other day... ?  He's
         new, from the czech republic (like most of the recent new
         players), you blew him up and criticized his spelling, perhaps
         not knowing that english isn't his language...  :)  Be nice
         (but firm) with the newbies...

         I always play with them, but do not really go after them
         unless they are in my way, or come after me.

         See: http://www.root.cz/clanky/conquest-vesmirna-rez/

         Now Pitchi, on the otherhand... Watch out for him :)  He's
         gotten pretty good (with several conquers under his belt
         now).  Plays the 8.2 GL client, almost got me a couple nights
         ago.  Bela was on via the curses client.  Apparently doesn't
         know how to det either. :)

> I myself have gotten upset over slingshot suprise attacks, being harrased
> endlessly while trying to coup, and pirate players (not neccisarily recently
> mind you...)  And I know in the VAX days of old some players quit (forever)
> because of stuff I mentioned in the VAX etiquette -
> http://www.radscan.com/conquest/cq-ml/msg00043.html

         Sure... ask clute, who I know for a fact has destroyed at
         least one keyboard (and a desk drawer) during a game :)

--
Jon Trulson
mailto:jon at radscan.com
#include <std/disclaimer.h>