[conquest] 8.1b (not public) and john's UDP issue

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Mon Jul 4 13:26:18 MDT 2005

  	I have put up a 8.1b in the tx/ area (not publically available
yet).  One bug fixed and a feature that might help with john's
'dissappearing UDP' issue.

  	- during playback of a recording, honor the user config
            NoRobotMsgs option.

  	- test UDP keepalive to see if johns 'disappearing UDP'
            problems disappear.

  	  The theory is that since outbound (client->server) UDP packets
are never sent after the initial UDP conn is negotiated, what john is
seeing is that after some time (about 10 minutes) of no outbound packets
on the UDP connection, his firewall is just dropping the udp connection
(assuming it's dead), thereby stopping ship motion UDP from coming in over
it.

  	  This change has the client (only the GL one for now) send
periodic 'keepalive' packets to the server on the UDP connection every 60
seconds or so, hopefully convincing the firewall that the connection is
still valid.  The servers have been updated to 8.1b as well so they won't
bitch about the unknown packet type (CPCMD_KEEPALIVE) coming in.  The
packet itself is just ignored server-side.

  	  Let me know when you want to try to test this.  I would
recommend connecting to the dev server with your current 8.1a client, and
timing how long it takes for UDP to stop working.  Then try the 8.1b and
see if it continues to work after the expected time expires.

  	Has anyone else seen this problem with ship motion data, etc just
'stopping' after some time in the game?

  	If it works, I'll clean it up for an official 8.1b public release.
If it doesn't, I guess some more investigation is in order :)

  	I am available for Conquest today and/or tommorow, of course :)

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
"I am Nomad." -Nomad